Creative Director Michael Grubb Studio, UK
„Public Realm, how to tell stories with light”
Summary: Light defines the spaces we use, depicts the stories we tell and affects our well-being. Our urban environments need to reflect this, but how is it achieved? Michael Grubb will talk through his Studio’s approach to public engagement and how local community groups can help shape, deliver and even maintain new exterior lighting schemes.
Michael Grubb is Creative Director of Michael Grubb Studio and former UK Lighting Designer of the Year.
Over the last 19 years Michael’s projects have been featured on BBC TV and Channel 4 as well as in the national and specialist press. He has won accolades including the National Lighting Design Award, Lux Award, RIBA White Rose, Landscape Institute Award and Design Week Award.
In 2011 the Olympic Delivery Authority appointed Michael as its Learning Legacy Ambassador for Lighting. The programme showcased the lessons learned from London 2012.
In 2013 Michael co-founded the RE:LIT project, a charity initiative that works with manufacturers to take superseded, damaged and ex-demo lighting equipment from their shelves and make use of them in community projects.
Michael is a member of the International Association of Lighting Designers, Society of Light & Lighting, Chartered Society of Lighting and a guest lecturer at the Arts University College of Bournemouth.
Project History – Michael Grubb Studio
• South Park Plaza, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, UK
• Moscow Parks Lighting Strategy, Russia
• Westminster Bridge Road Regeneration Project, London, UK
• Elephant Park, London, UK
• Southampton Station South, UK
• Pier Approach & Lower Gardens, Bournemouth, UK
• LiveWorks Public Realm, Newcastle, UK
• Black Prince Road & Paradise Street, London, UK
• Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland
• Wonderlab, Science Museum, London, UK
• Stephenson Quarter Pocket Parks, Newcastle, Uk
• Bath Abbey Footprint Project, UK
• LUSH Arndale, Manchester, UK
• Swansea Tidal Bay Lagoon, Wales, UK
• UCL East Campus, QEOP, London, UK
Project History – Previous Employment
• London 2012 Olympic Park, Lighting Strategy & LPR, UK
• Cathedral Square, Peterborough, UK
• Sheaf Square/Howard Street, Sheffield, UK
• Bow Riverside, London, UK
• Al Watan Park, Saudi Arabia
AWARDS OF THE OFFICE:
2016 LUX Awards, Winner,
2014 Lighting Design Awards, Winner,
2014 Design Week Awards, Winner
AWARDS OF THE SPEAKER:
2017 Surface Design Awards, Finalist
2016 WIN Awards (Pending)
2016 LUX Awards, Winner
2016 FX Awards, Finalist
2015 Surface Design Awards, Finalist
2014 Lighting Design Awards, Winner
2014: LUX Awards, Winner
2014 Design Week Award, Winner
2012 Lighting Designer of the Year